Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools formed in 1995 after the amalgamation of three historic school jurisdictions. Catholic Education in the region dates back 150 years with the arrival of the Grey Nuns in St. Albert in 1863 providing schooling to seven orphaned children. Today, the division provides Catholic Education to over 6,000 students in the municipalities of Morinville, St. Albert and Legal as well as, parts of Sturgeon County (Carbondale, Cunningham, Guilbault North and South, Namao).
On July 1, 2012 legislation came into effect which changed Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools status from "public" to "separate" and resulted in a legal name change to Greater St. Albert Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 734.